By E-Journal Times Desk
Dear Mother, The 13th birthday marks the beginning of the teen years for your child. It is a joyous experience to watch your child grow into adulthood. Your child reminds you of your childhood, but at times you also have challenges to face.
There are many things on the minds of American teens. Pew Research Center's new survey of teens ages 13 to 17 finds substantial shares point to anxiety and depression, bullying, and drug and alcohol abuse as major problems.
So, pay attention to your teen. There are powerful mantras of your love and motherhood, that can handle all worries.
Teenagers are defined as those aged 13-19. In this transition period, teenagers are transitioning into adulthood, and they need support and guidance to make the right choices. In order to help them grow into healthy, happy adults, it is crucial to provide them with a supportive and loving environment.
“Globally, one in seven 10-19-year-olds experiences a mental disorder, accounting for 13% of the global burden of disease in this age group. Depression, anxiety, and behavioral disorders are among the leading causes of illness and disability among adolescents. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death among 15-29 year-olds. The consequences of failing to address adolescent mental health conditions extend to adulthood, impairing both physical and mental health and limiting opportunities to lead fulfilling lives as adults.”-Data is taken from WHO website https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-mental-health
It is not uncommon for a mother of teenagers to worry about their children for a variety of reasons. There are many reasons for this, including:
- Transformations on a physical and emotional level.
- Peer pressure may lead teenagers to engage in risky behaviors, including substance abuse, which is concerning for mothers.
- A mother may be concerned about her teenager’s academic performance.
- There may be concerns on the part of mothers regarding their teenagers’ use of technology and the associated risks, including cyberbullying and predatory websites.
- There are many reasons mothers may worry about the safety of their teens, such as driving, relationships, and other situations where they may be at risk.
Are you able to recall the challenges you faced as a teenager?
In what ways did your family and friends support you?
When you faced those challenges, how did you handle them?
But remember, Don’t compare current problems with your time because problems are also changing and so is our family structure. The first thing you must do is understand and identify your teen’s emotional level and problem. Afterward, you must devise a strategy to resolve the problem with your moral support first.
A teenager is likely to experience a wide range of physical, emotional, and social problems as he or she develops.
The following are some of the most common problems teenagers face:
- The trouble with family relationships: Teenagers may have conflicts with their parents or siblings, which can be frustrating.
- Identity formation: During adolescence, adolescents experience issues related to body image, self-esteem, and peer pressure.
- Stress associated with school: School pressures and extracurricular activities can be stressful for teens.
- Physical changes: The physical changes that occur in teenagers, including puberty, can be challenging. This condition occurs in both boys and girls. Check out what changes will happen during puberty at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/the-growing-child-adolescent-13-to-18-years
- Issues with mental health: Anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and other mental health issues can affect adolescents.
- Having social challenges: Teenagers may experience peer pressure, bullying, or isolation from their peers.
To help teenagers navigate these challenges and promote positive growth and development, parents, caregivers, and other adults, especially mothers need to provide support and guidance.
Teenage mothers can make a significant contribution to their children’s positive development. Here are a few ideas:
- For teenagers to grow positively, it is essential that you build a strong relationship with them. Get to know their hobbies and activities, show interest in them, and speak openly and honestly with them.
- It is not uncommon for adolescents to face challenges related to school, relationships, and making decisions. Providing guidance and support will enable them to develop coping skills and problem-solving skills.
- Taking responsibility for their own actions and making their own decisions will help your teenagers become more independent. By doing so, they will become more confident and self-reliant.
- Ensure that your teenagers know their boundaries and expectations and enforce those boundaries consistently. By providing structure to their daily routine, they will understand what’s expected of them.
- Make your home a positive place by modeling positive behaviors, promoting healthy habits, and fostering respectful relationships.
- Help your teenagers learn how to budget, cook, and do their laundry. In this way, they will be prepared for adulthood and will be able to become independent.
- No matter what your teenager is passionate about, whether it is sports, music, or academics, you should support them. By doing so, they will be able to develop a sense of purpose and gain a sense of self-worth.
- Counselors, therapists, and physicians are qualified to help you when you have concerns about your teenager’s mental health.
Read how the young population can learn from obstacles they face at https://journals-times.com/2022/09/28/the-young-population-needs-to-learn-to-celebrate-every-obstacle-they-face/
A seasoned storyteller and author of Uncle Pai, Rajessh M Iyer said, “Uncle Pai has shaped Indian society.”
As a part of the holiday season, AI is at the forefront of everything from personalized gift recommendations to dazzling light displays.
“Conquer your most disruptive dreams like scaling Everest!”
- Rajessh M Iyer: Uncle Pai’s legacy has shaped Indian society beyond literature & culture!
- AI Magic: Using technology to enhance the festive season in 2023
- Reaching your Most Disruptive Dreams is Just Like Getting the Everest!
- Sleep in Diabetes: How Blood Sugar is Responsible?
- Lord Ganesha in the Modern Age: The Timeless Significance