It is important to get enough Vitamin D in order to maintain good health. In order to build strong bones, your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. By combining calcium with vitamin D, you can prevent osteoporosis, a disease that thins and weakens your bones. So, It has been recommended by doctors in recent years due to a lack of it. The D supplement market is flooded with products labeled vitamin D2 and vitamin D3.
Is it really clear to you what Vitamin D does, why it is needed, and in what form it is needed? A nutritionist- Anjali Shukla has written this article to explain things to you in a simple way. Also, if you have any questions about nutrition, diet, or Vitamins, you can contact Anjali at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- The fat-soluble Vitamin-D functions like a Hormone.
- Your body produces it after absorbing the sun’s rays.
- You can also get Vitamin-D from Food
- Vitamin-D receptors are located in your bones, pancreas, intestine, kidneys, brain, spinal cord, reproductive organ, thymus, adrenal glands, pituitary gland, and thyroid gland.
- Vitamin D is a sterol, it contains a steroid nucleus (cyclopentanoperhydrophenanthrene ring)
- Vitamin D in the diet occurs in two forms.
- Vitamin D2 (Ergocalciferol) is found in Plants.
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is Found in Red meat and Fish.
Vitamin D is a Sun-Shine
Our body produces vitamin D after absorbing the sun’s rays. But if you are thinking that you are consuming sunlight from inside the window in a closed house, then there will be no shortage of Vitamin D, then you are totally wrong. According to science, “Your body makes vitamin D when your bare skin is exposed to the sun.” Additionally, clouds, smog, old age, and dark-colored skin reduce vitamin D production.
It’s recommended to get sun exposure for 10 to 15 minutes every day or at least three times a week.
Skin is the largest organ in the body
-The production of Vitamin D in the skin is directly proportional to exposure to sunlight.
-Excessive exposure to sunlight does not result in Vitamin-D toxicity since excess provitamin D3 is destroyed by sunlight itself.
Functions of Vitamin D in your Body
- Aids in the absorption of calcium from the intestinal tract.
- Helps the body assimilate phosphorus.
- Helps the pancreas release insulin.
- Necessary for the growth and development of bones and teeth.
- Necessary for Thyroid function.
- Stimulates bone cell mineralization.
- Read about metabolism at https://journals-times.com/2022/11/15/discover-what-your-metabolism-does-for-your-health/
Symptoms of Vitamin-D Deficiency
- Bone disorder (rickets in children or osteomalacia in adults)
- Decreased phosphate levels
- Decreased calcium levels
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle weakness
- Increased risk of Osteoporosis
- Read more about Vitamin-D Deficiency at https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15050-vitamin-d-vitamin-d-deficiency
- Decreased fat absorption
- Fat-blocking medications and over-the-counter fat blockers are used for weight loss
- Using Steroid
Diseases/Disorders that can be treated with Vitamin-D
- Autoimmune diseases
- Migraine headaches
- Cardiovascular Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Depression and more
- Canned Sardines
- Sunflower seeds
- Eggs Yolk
- Fortified milk and cereals
- Natural Cheese and Butter
- Cod Liver oil
Is There a Difference Between Vitamin D3 and Vitamin D2 Supplements?
If you purchase vitamin D supplements, you may see two different forms: vitamin D2 and vitamin D3. Vitamin D2 is made from plants and is found in fortified foods and some supplements. Vitamin D3 is naturally produced in the human body and is found in animal foods. There is an ongoing debate about whether vitamin D3 “cholecalciferol” is better than vitamin D2 “ergocalciferol” at increasing blood levels of the vitamin.
You have to be aware of the Vitamin -D importance for your body and must check with your doctor that there is no deficiency. Do not consume too many Vitamin-D supplements. It could create other health risks. Your age determines how much vitamin D you need each day. Below are the average daily recommended amounts in micrograms (mcg) and international units (IU):
Want to lose weight or want to live a healthy life then connect?
- Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram- energise metabolism
- Facebook- Energise Metabolism
Do not attempt any of the suggested actions, suggestions, remedies, or instructions found here without consulting with a qualified professional. Before consuming the suggested thing here analyze your problem and do blood work as everyone’s bodies are different and the root cause is different. Consult with a professional and know your best-suited diet.