E-Journal Times Desk
It is common for people to suffer from acidity, especially after consuming spicy or oily foods. People may feel a burning sensation in their chest or stomach, and it can be quite uncomfortable. The good news is that there are several home remedies that can help alleviate acidity. Our article discusses how to treat acidity at home as a primary level and the causes of acidity.
Factors contributing to acidity
An excess of acid in the stomach causes acidity. As hydrochloric acid helps digest food, too much of it can cause acidity. Acidity is caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Foods that are spicy or oily
- Consuming citrus, tomatoes, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
- Nearing sleep time, eating a snack
- Overeating or eating too quickly
- The consumption of alcohol or caffeine
- Intake of smoke
- A feeling of stress and anxiety
- Some people can experience heartburn or acidity if they regularly take aspirin (such as Bayer), ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin), or certain sedatives. Acid reflux and heartburn are also caused by medications, including asthma medications, antihistamines, and antidepressants.
- As a result of being overweight or obesity, the pressure on your abdomen or stomach can lead to acid reflux and heartburn.
Learn more about Acid Reflux at https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/2207941/uiconf_id/37292221/entry_id/1_3benzd1b/embed/dynamic
Acidity and heartburn symptoms
- Having a burning sensation in your stomach, abdomen, chest, or throat
- Taste of sourness or bitterness in the mouth or throat
- Excessive burping and bloating
- Feces that are black or bloody
- A feeling of nausea and vomiting
- Having hiccups and losing weight
- Coughing that is dry
- The throat feels sore
- Breathing difficulties
Home Remedies for Acidity
The treatment of acidity at home can be effective when natural remedies are used. In chronic or severe cases of acidity, medical attention may be necessary. Home remedies like ginger, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera juice, fennel seeds, bananas, and chamomile tea can alleviate acidity symptoms. It works by neutralizing stomach acid, reducing stomach inflammation, and soothing the digestive tract. To prevent acidity, eat smaller meals more frequently, avoid trigger foods like spicy or oily foods, and practice healthy eating habits.
The following are some home remedies for acidity
- 3-4 basil leaves can be chewed or boiled in water. Drink it frequently after simmering. Since ancient times, basil leaves have been used for their medicinal properties, also known as Tulsi. In addition to being anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer, basil leaves can also relieve acidity symptoms.
- The anti-inflammatory and digestive properties of ginger make it an effective remedy for acidity. You can chew a small chunk of ginger or make ginger tea by boiling it in water.
- Drinking coconut water can help alleviate symptoms of acidity. It is natural and refreshing. With its alkalizing properties, coconut water can reduce the symptoms of acidity by neutralizing stomach acid. It is high in electrolytes such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium which can help restore the body’s pH balance and reduce acidity. Inflammation and acidity are reduced by coconut water’s cool, refreshing nature, which soothes the stomach’s irritated lining. The symptoms of acidity can be worsened by dehydration. Keeping hydrated with coconut water can help reduce acidity intensity.
- Apple cider vinegar is also useful because of natural acid neutralizer. You can prevent acidity by drinking one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water before meals.
- Inflammation in the stomach can be reduced with aloe vera juice, which soothes the digestive tract. For prevention, drink aloe vera juice before meals.
- In Fennel seeds, there is an ingredient called anethole, which inhibits stomach spasms and reduces acidity. Fennel seeds can be chewed after meals to prevent acid reflux. You can also put a spoonful of fennel seeds in water and leave them overnight. Take out the fennel seeds and drink the water in the morning.
- Bananas are natural antacids that can neutralize stomach acid. Bananas can help when eaten before or after meals. Read more about bananas at https://www.nourishdoc.com/health/bananas-for-heartburn-acid-reflux
- An effective remedy for acidity is chamomile tea, which has calming and anti-inflammatory properties. You can prevent acidity by drinking chamomile tea after meals.
- Read another article at https://journals-times.com/2023/03/24/aloe-vera-what-do-you-need-to-know/
Check more tips on Instagram with Aahar Vihar Clinic
Having acidity is an uncomfortable and inconvenient problem. Fortunately, you can prevent and treat acidity with these home remedies. You can reduce the risk of acidity by avoiding trigger foods and practicing healthy eating habits. You should seek medical attention if your symptoms persist.
Your stomach’s acid levels can also be balanced by eating yogurt and other probiotic foods. Reduce acidity by eating smaller meals throughout the day. Also, clothing that squeezes your stomach may contribute to heartburn symptoms in people who suffer from it. So, try loose-fitting clothes.
Do not attempt any of the suggested actions, suggestions, remedies, or instructions found here without consulting with a qualified professional. Consult with a professional and know your best-suited diet.